Sunday, March 30, 2014

Fatigue...

I am not good at slowing down.  I work hard, I play hard, always finding time for a run in the middle of it.  But sometimes, you just have to stop.  Fatigue is a very real thing with MS.  If you try to ignore the disease, it will bite you.

I had that experience this weekend.  I have had a busy week.  Work has started picking up again. That is a good thing. Then, on my day I should have gotten home early, there was a wreck that had traffic stopped for 2 hours.  Instead of waste that two hours, I went for a run.  I was late getting home and late getting to bed.  Next day, get up early, followed by an exciting, but late, night.  As that day drew to a close, I was done.  We were standing for the final prayers.  Suddenly, I was dizzy, my legs were tingling and getting weak, I was hot.  Instead of falling down, I sat.  Some days I am smarter than others. Amy brought me home and put me to bed.  The next day I slept for about 4 hours, got up for a few, and then went back to bed for another 10. 

The fatigue with MS is very different from just being tired.  For me, it manifests as both physical and emotional--probably the depression jumping in too.  My arms and legs tingle and hurt.  My legs are weak--just squatting down to pick something up is a challenge.  My vision is off--it is like I am looking through a prism.  I have a hard time holding on to things.  I cry easily. I don't know if that is part of the problem or if it is just the manifestation of the fear.

I think I just needed some rest.  It is better today.  My legs aren't quite as heavy.  I can pick things up a little easier.  But it is always a reminder.  MS is there.  And don't you forget it.  It will be ok.  Today will be an easy day, going back to feeling better and getting back on schedule for everything.  That is the best fatigue management tool there is....keeping everything on a schedule.  

No comments:

Post a Comment