Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Finally spring...

I run outside year round in all weather.  I run in the cold, I run in the rain...I don't run in the cold rain.  And I don't run if there is snow/ice on the sidewalk.  I don't want to fall.  There is enough risk of that without any help. Because of this, I have spent a lot of time on the treadmill this winter.

But, it is finally spring.  It is warm.  The sun is shining.  Trees and flowers are starting to bloom.  And I am blessed to not have allergies.  That is right.  Flowers blooming, oak pollen (which there is a lot of around my house), molds from under the wet leaves that have piled up....none of it bothers me.  I might get a stuffy nose from mechanical irritation from so much stuff floating around, but no itchy eyes, no swollen sinuses.  So I can run outside in the spring with no problems.  And this is my favorite time of year to run. There is sun, the temperature is perfect, and it doesn't get dark too early.

My favorite place to run is down by the water.  If you saw the video (http://www.healthcentral.com/multiple-sclerosis/d/LBLN/living-with-ms/?ic=colnav)  
you saw the pictures of my favorite place.  What you can't see in that video is that it was damned cold that day.  I had a sweatshirt and the crew was wrapping me in blankets between takes.  Luckily I was running slowly, so I didn't get too sweaty and have a wet shirt on.  But I do love to run there.  

I have also started cycling.  I am going to be riding with a team for the bike MS event.  I enjoy the ride, but it isn't a run. It would probably be better if I didn't have to load the bike to go somewhere to ride.  I don't like riding on the main road in town.  People are in too much of a hurry and don't see the cyclists.  

Either way, it is spring.  Between working in the yard, getting the flowers to grow and trying to grow some veggies and running in the sunshine, my favorite time of year is here.   Get outside, get some sunshine to heal the winter depression, and enjoy the season.  It will be summer and hot soon enough. 

No comments:

Post a Comment